As promised, our special guest last week, Serkan Toto (@serkantoto) from TechCrunch and Asiajin, is in our virtual studio to talk about Mixi Meetup 2010. Organized by Mixi, one of the top social networks in Japan launching new APIs, a service similar to Facebook Places, and breaking the news of a major alliance with CyWorld (Korea) and RenRen (China) to consolidate the social networking space in East Asia. We examine this major event in Japan similar to the scale of a Google I/O or Apple Keynote and its implications to the social networking scene in Asia. We also wish our Muslim friends in Asia a Happy Raya and discussed some of the major news that rocked the entire Asia web-tech landscape.
- Major News and Report on Mixi Meetup 2010: Social App Platform for Smartphone Users & Mixi Partners With Renren and CyWorld – 3 Asian Major Social Networks Cooperate.
- Itochu Technology Ventures Invests $2 Million In Ooyala’s $22 Million Series D Round: The investment made on Ooyala has an impact on a video-related start-up in US called BrightCove. Serkan navigates us thru the story and explains why this is an interesting development in Japan for another space.
- ComScore’s report on Malaysia’s News Site: We discuss the top news site on Malaysia based on a recent ComScore report. We also examine whether we can trust the numbers from ComScore and the traffic they claimed on portals in Asia with their methods of sampling internet traffic.
- Skype gives out 30M minutes for calls for EID: For the festive season of Hari Raya, Skype gives away 30M minutes of calls.
- The stupid thing about angels making entrepreneurs pay to pitch: The panel chatted about a recent article in Malaysia on Virtual Investments Group (vic) response about entrepreneurs being asked to pay for pitch. We appeal to some VCs to being so low class in coming up with this kind of stupid schemes like paying to pitch for entrepreneurs.
- Events: (a) Accelerate – 22-23 Sep 2010, (b) Social Media World Forum Asia – 22-23 Sep 2010, (c) SeedCamp Singapore, (d) Barcamp JB, (e) Barcamp Phnom Penh – 25-26 Sep 2010, and (f) Barcamp Singapore 6 (9-10 Oct 2010) & Barcamp Bangkok (23-24 Oct 2010). One last thing: AsiaJin Meetup in Hackerspace SG (25 Sep 2010).
- This Week in Asia Episode 61: This is Social Media!
- TWIA Episode 50: Live from Echelon
- This Week in Asia Episode 12: From Cracking Firewalls to Nexus One
- TWIA Episode 28: Echelon 2010 & Social Wok
- This Week in Asia Episode 118 Google, Apple and Microsoft All Got Big News
- Asia’s Top 50 Apps: Discovering Apps in Asia