The TWIA crew gathers before the Chinese New Year on Valentine’s day with our typical ramblings with Google Nexus One and Google Buzz. Following on, we continue an interesting joint venture between Baidu (China’s top search engine) and Rakuten (Japan’s top e-commerce company), and examine their implications. Then we switched gears to examine why Yahoo! is doing well in East Asia and then do a quick discussion on Wireless SG, the continuing saga between Google China and the Chinese government and Paypal’s run-in with India regulators.
- From Google Nexus One to Google Buzz: We discuss what are Mike’s thoughts on Google Nexus One followed by the crew’s reactions to the story of the week: Google Buzz.
- Rakuten Allies With Baidu To Promote Their E-commerce Business in Mainland China: An interesting joint venture and alliance with Baidu’s top search engine moving into the e-commerce space with a Japanese top e-commerce platform, Rakuten and how it will pit against Ali-Baba, TaoBao, Dang Dang and other e-commerce sites in China.
- Yahoo’s Hidden Treasures Are in Asia: We looked at Benjamin Joffe’s analysis on Yahoo! and how it is relatively success in the East Asian markets by working with local partners in China (AliBaba) and Japan (Soft Bank).
- [email protected] goes places with new engine: The crew looks at the possibility on how [email protected] in Singapore can finally monetize with their new location based service engine.
- One month later, Google still censors China search: The saga goes on and we debate whether it’s a posture from Google to push the boundaries drawn by the Chinese authorities.
- PayPal: India payments suspended for ‘at least a few months’: The crew talks about how PayPal’s run in with the Indian regulation authorities led to Indian users unable to access their accounts and get their money from the bank.
- Check out Daniel’s new blog Cerventus.com and a quick plug on Geeks on the Plane coming to Echelon 2010 organized by E27.
- This Week in Asia Episode 13: The Google Showdown with China
- This Week in Asia Episode 61: This is Social Media!
- This Week in Asia Episode 68: Mixi Meetup 2010 Rocks!
- This Week in Asia Episode 56: Attack of The Groupon Clones
- This Week in Asia Episode 12: From Cracking Firewalls to Nexus One
- Malaysian Do Participate in E-Commerce (mostly for purchase of airline tickets and accommodation.)