The TWIA crew starts off the new year with the story of the Great Firewall of China breaking down for a few hours and talk about the new legalized video service from Baidu starting up soon there. While Google’s new phone “Nexus One” has taken the whole world by storm, the crew examines how the Asian market views this new phone and the adoption of Android operating system. Finally, the crew ends with a discussion on the seven technology incubators selected by National Research Foundation Singapore and how it will change the landscape in Southeast Asia as a whole.
- Great Firewall of China crashed: We hear that China enjoyed total Internet freedom early morning last Monday and its implications to censorship.
- Baidu Confirms New Ad-Supported Online Video Venture: Baidu is launching a new ad-supported online video service similar to Hulu in China. The crew discussed whether the service will take off given the heavy competition by the other video sharing sites in China: Tudou, YouKu, 56.com and ku6.
- The Launch of Google Nexus One and the Android Market in Asia: With the launch of Google Nexus One, the crew discuss whether the phone can surpass the popularity of the iPhone and also the adoption of Android in Asia.
- 7 Incubators Selected for Singapore National Research Foundation Technology Incubation Scheme: We talked about how the choice of this seven incubators: Clearbridge Accelerator, I2G Tech Accelerator, Neoteny Labs, Plug and Play, Social Slingshot, Small World Group and Stream Global.
- This Week in Asia Episode 112 Quick Tour Around South East Asia
- First Impression of Nexus S
- This Week in Asia Episode 115 Facebook IPO while Ali Baba Buying Yahoo Out
- This Week in Asia Episode 69: Mitchell Baker Mozilla
- This Week in Asia Episode 108 Apple Paying Dividend (TWIA)
- This Week in Asia Episode 122a The Babies and Frog Episode