The Start-Up Entrepreneur Series Interview Campaign! Part 1
(A) Getting to know The Start-Up Entrepreneur
My name is Choong Kar Fai. I obtained my Bachelor of Mathematics (Information Systems) from University of Waterloo and MBA(Entrepreneurship) from University of Louisville. I wouldn’t say I am a successful entrepreneur(just yet) but I hope to be one in the very near future. I would attribute my success to positive thinking and passion. I am running 2 related companies, one of which is a MSC awarded company.
2. Why did you get started on this path towards building your own business?
I have always been techy and I have always taken pride in the solutions I provide, especially system related solutions. My passion to use technology to enhance or change lives the way Apple does it. This has been one of the reasons I started my own business.
3. Was there any inspiration or anyone who inspired you to pursue your dream to become an entrepreneur today?
As cliché as it may sound, Steve Jobs certainly was an inspiration. My father is also my inspiration, he built his business by sheer hardwork.
4. In your experience, what are the 3 Winning Traits that Entrepreneurs should possess when they start their business?
Passion, Hardwork and Persistence
(B) Getting to know about The Start-Up
We have a few solutions namely OunchKiosk (interactive info kiosk with swipe gestures), OunchKIT (platform that keeps relevant information together), OunchScreen (Screens that play video and slide show concurrently), OunchTag (QRcodes and nfc enabled tag) and OunchScan (QR code reader on iOS). All these Ounch Solutions may seem isolated but they are inter-connected and there is a purpose of it when the time comes. I have tractions for all the solutions mentioned, some of my clients are from Singapore.
2. Why did you decide to go into this business? Is it because it is a lucrative market? Is it a Blue Ocean which your talents and expertise through your business can provide?
I saw a need and I endeavoured to meet the need, that’s how I decided to go into this business. It is definitely more of the blue ocean where there is a gap in that our talents and expertise can meet the need.
3. Please share with us, when you established your organization during its early days – How did you fund it? Any tips on raising the funds? Any tips on convincing investors?
It was from my savings and I was fortunate to have some financial backing from my family. There are many avenues to obtain funding such as MDeC’s grant and Cradle Funds, etc.
4. Where do you see your business growing into, for the next 5 to 10 years?
I hope that my solutions will be widely adopted by businesses and end-users, not just in Malaysia but globally. Maybe Google will take notice and we get acquired… ;)
5. What is your vision for the industry that you are in? Do you see a trend coming up that your business can capitalize?
Smartphones penetration is increasing at an alarming rate. Mobile internet is touted to overtake desktop internet in the coming years. These are all in line with my business solutions.
To be continued… The Start-up Entrepreneur Part 2