Startup Weekend recruits a highly motivated group of developers, business managers, startup enthusiasts, marketing gurus, graphic artists and more to a 54 hour event that builds communities, companies and projects. It is an amazing opportunity to connect with other passionate and skilled individuals, and perhaps even find a co-founder or two to transform your idea into reality. This event has been organized in over 100 cities across 25 countries and after 3 years Startup Weekend is finally in Malaysia and it is not just Kuala Lumpur.
Why should you join?
Basically, you have 54 hours to ignite your idea into a business.
· Co-Founder ‘Dating’ Network with like-minded people and find your potential co-founder / partner
· Education – Learn how to put together an actual strategy and get feedback on it
· Learn how to launch – figure out everything from the mission, target market, go-to market strategies, to pitch your business ideas and prototypes and receive feedback from experts
· Actually Launch a Business – Over 36% of the Startup Weekend Startups are still alive after 3 months
In Malaysia, there will be a Startup Day and a Startup Weekend which will be called Ignite Your Startup!
Ignite Your Startup! is jointly presented by the US Embassy in Malaysia and Global Entrepreneurship Sdn Bhd. It is a Global Entrepreneurship Week Malaysia signature activity.
Ignite Your Startup is a series of programs which include 3 one-day Startup Day workshops nationwide and a 3-day Startup Weekend in Kuala Lumpur. It helps create Start-Ups in a fun, interactive and results driven way. It also offers an amazing opportunity to connect with other passionate and skilled individuals, and perhaps even find a co-founder or two to transform your idea into reality!
The program for Startup Weekend.
Participants present their ideas and divide into different groups to work on selected ideas.
Saturday – Sunday Implementation
Groups work on the ideas as far as they can. Think through how to turn their ideas into reality.
Sunday Evening – Reality
Participants present their business prototypes or products or even launch their businesses!
Startup Day is a compressed version of Startup Weekend, covering key elements of the the program in a hands-on, action packed day!
Current the calendar Startup Day and Startup Weekend are as below:
Monday, Oct 18 Networking event in Penang
Tuesday, Oct 19 Startup Day in Penang
Friday, Oct 22 to Sunday, Oct 24 Startup Weekend Kuala Lumpur in Plug and Play Technology Garden.
Tuesday, Oct 26 Networking Evening, Kota Bharu
Wednesday, Oct 27 Startup Day, Kota Bharu
Thursday, Oct 28 Startup Day and Networking Evening, Johor Bharu
The registration at http://malaysia.startupweekend.org/ is not up yet so we do not know the actual price of the ticket for the events. If you are as excited as I am over this event, do head over to the FAQ for more details.
- What’s Going On in Malaysia’s Startup Community This Week
- This Week in Asia Episode 71: Startup Organizer Summit with Marc Nager and Chris McCann
- Startup Weekend Singapore
- Startup Weekend Singapore 9 to 11 March 2012
- Malaysia Technology Incubator Throws Technopreneurship Open Day to Educate Entrepreneurs
- ConcreteJungle #36 : Alphapod