Welcome to Malaysia, where the government is trying to push for a new law that requires any computer professional to be certified with a soon to be form Board of Computing Professionals. This board is supposed to determine who is qualified to practice in the ICT industry. This also means all Malaysians who are in the computer industry would probably need to pay a yearly fee to join this board. This is bullshit.
The beauty of the ICT industry it is democratize a lot of stuff. There are a lot of self taught experts or hackers poking around computers. By having a formal organization will hamper development of the ICT industry.
Does it mean these two folks will not be qualify to do anything in the computer industry because they are drop outs?
Here is the draft for the act, judge for yourself
Update: See what are the public comments for the draft act here.
There is also an open day for the public to learn about about the act here.
When: December 13, 2011, 9.30 am to 5pm
Where: Dewan Perhimpunan, Aras 1, Block C4, Kompleks C, Kementerian Sains, Teknologi dan Inovasi, Pusat Pentadbiran Kerajaan Persekutuan
UPDATE: Petition to kill the bill is here.
- Questionnaire For Establishment Of Board of Computing Professionals Malaysia (BCPM)
- Less Grant Money for Technology Entrepreneurs
- What Happened in the Morning Session for CPB2011 Open Day?
- An Overseas Business Grant that all Entrepreneurs Should Know!
- So What Email Solution TriCubes is Using?
- ICT Entrepreneur’s Reaction for the Prime Minister’s Budget 2013 Announcement