Napoleon Hill once said, “procrastination is the bad habit of putting of until the day after tomorrow what should have been done the day before yesterday.” The question on how to beat procrastination have been keen minds of effective leaders and workers for ages. A lot of time, we are not as effective as we should be because, we keep telling ourselves, we can do it tomorrow.
A while ago, multi disciplinary investor, entrepreneur and best selling author Tim Ferriss did an AMA(Ask Me Anything) on social news forum Reddit.com and one of the questions asked by the audience was “how does an super productive person like Tim beat procrastination?”
Key Ideas On How to Beat Procrastination
- We all have out peak performance time and nobody have more than 4 hour of creative output per day. Find out what is your peak performance time and start working then. Personally, my best time is between 6am to 11am and I noticed I get more done then.
- Pick your fights and choose what bring back the best return. Learn to identify what has higher ROI in your work and focus on that. We gain the most by being better at something we are already good at.
- Learn to create bigger goals which motivate to plough through the low and when you are demotivated. Having the big picture with goals that really excite you will help you in the long run. Your journey in your career is a long ultra marathon, so it is best find something you are extremely passionate about.
- Set your daily smaller goals daily as opposed to you big macro goal. Tim gave a few good examples including the sales target of IBM’s sales team which was intentionally low so it does not seem like too big of a challenge to hit daily. Doing it little by little helps out in the long run bigger goals.
Here are some of the book that Tim recommends
“Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well”. – Mark Twain
feature image from http://colorsathalfmast.deviantart.com/
- Review: The Start-Up Guide for Branding that Entrepreneurs Must Get!
- The Entrepreneur behind the Creative Email Platform Mailbird
- How does a Startup Plan to Change the Way We Use Emails Everyday with Mailbird
- If you think you can do it, or you think you can’t do it, You are right
- BarCamp Penang is Back!!
- Business Advice from the Founders of Dino Media as one of Asia’s Fastest Growing Startups