Rue-Hann Lim, the Co-Founder of www.healthworks.my. She is on a mission to inspire fellow Malaysians to make better choices for their health and wellness.
Getting to know about The Start-Up
1. Tell us more about yourself – Who are you, what do you do, what are your qualifications (If any) and what have
made you into the successful entrepreneur that you are today?
I’m Rue and I love purposeful ideas, helping people to be better in life and also all things fun! I’m running a health start-up called HealthWorks.my. Our mission is to build the largest health community in Malaysia and inspire Malaysians to make better choices for their health, fitness & happiness. It will serve as Malaysia’s one-stop-health-hub for education, shopping and community.
I graduated with a first class honors in Nutrition & Community Health degree. Worked at a health-communication company and took on projects from global brands. I then spent 3 years kick-starting Groupon Malaysia’s Operations team and was part of the leadership team.
As we are fairly new, I wouldn’t consider myself as a successful entrepreneur, yet. What made me the person I am today are the experiences and hardships that God took me through.
2. Why did you get started on this path towards building your own business?
I wanted to build something purposeful that can help Malaysians. I’ve learnt a lot about people & process management during my experience in Groupon MY. So I want to take these learnings to a different level of playing field. I also want to build a company that has great culture, and provide awesome work experience for its people. Together we can make a positive difference greater!
3. Was there any inspiration or anyone who inspired you to pursue your dream to become an entrepreneur today?
Many people inspired me in different ways. From big names like Richard Branson, Gurbaksh Chahal, to someone closer to home – my leader Joel Neoh and Chen Chow. But these people are the ones that inspired me most: my mother, my pastor, the hairdresser I visit, the family that runs a western restaurant at my neighbourhood, and the tailor who alters my dresses. They have such perseverance to run a mission or a business for decades, and focused on their service quality for the community around them. So I decided to take this step, get out of my comfort zone and start something that can benefit others!
4. In your experience, what are the 3 Winning Traits that Entrepreneurs should possess when they start their business?
I’d like to see this as the Entrepreneurial spirit – which you can find in people who might not have their own businesses but are doing epic stuff in their company too! In the past 4 years, I’ve learned that these 3 traits are vital:
1) Be purpose driven. Knowing why you are doing something drives you forward, even when all else fails. It helps you communicate clearly to stakeholders, leaders, team members, clients, even friends!
2) Be a teachable explorer. Be curious. Ask questions. Imagine stuff. Talk to people. Read a lot. Explore. Dream. Discover.
3) Have grit. Having the grit to persevere on is vital because there are too many temptations asking you to give up – like that Korean drama chase.
To be continued… The Start-up Entrepreneur Part 2
- 30 Life Lessons from Joel Neoh, Malaysia High Achieving Entrepreneur
- ‘Prof. Yunus’ Global Social Business Summit Arrives in Malaysia
- World’s Biggest Hackathon Competition comes to Kuala Lumpur this 8th of June
- Social Innovation Camp Asia 2013 Takes Off! Events updates!
- Getting to know about The Start-Up! Player Holdings Pte Ltd! Sports Events Planning and Management, Sports Merchandising, and Sports Leadership Training.
- 7 Secrets of Jack Ma Entrepreneurship Lesson Part 2