Many people talk about the explosion of social media and the importance of businesses in recognising that. These are 22 impressive statistics that I wanted to share with our readers, and this is why we should not be ignorant of the social media landscape:
- Every month the world’s online population spends equivalent to 4 million years online.
- Social networking is the most popular online activity worldwide, with 22% of the time online spent on channels like Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
- 90% of marketers use social media channels for business, with 93% of these rating social tools as “important”.
- 91% of experienced social marketers see improved website traffic due to social media campaigns and 79% are generating more quality leads.
- 40% of consumers prefer social logins over creating a new/guest account.
- 53% of employers research potential candidates on social networks.
- 30% of B2B marketers are spending million of dollars each year on social media marketing
- 56% of college students said that if they encountered a company that banned access to social media, they would either not accept a job offer or would join and find a way to circumvent corporate policy.
- 64.7% of Malaysians use the internet.
- Facebook is the most visited site in Malaysia (75.5%).
- Social media is responsible for one-third the web traffic in Malaysia.
- Facebook has a total of 901 million monthly active users.
- There are more than 3.5 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, etc.) shared each week on Facebook.
- Up till date, there are 12747100 Facebook users in the Malaysia, which makes it No.18 in the ranking of all Facebook statistics by Country.
- This also means that 48.73% of the Malaysian population is on Facebook.
- There are 340 million tweets every day.
- Twitter has a total of more than 22 million daily unique visitors.
- 55% of Twitter users access the platform via their mobile.
On Pinterest, Youtube and others:
- Pinterest hit 10 million monthly unique visitors faster than any independent site in history.
- Pinterest is projected to account for 40% of social media driven purchases by Q2 2012 (Facebook 60%)
- Youtube handles 10% of the internet’s traffic worldwide and has 4 billion views per day.
- Google+ is the second-most used social network for sharing multimedia content from a mobile device (10%)
Oh and one more thing, Anime movie Laputa: Castle in the Sky televised in Japan on Dec. 9, 2011 set an amazing record of 25,088 tweets per second. That was a stunning moment that shows how powerful social media (if done right) can be.
In a nutshell, we hope that these statistics help you understand that social media is an extremely important platform for businesses to engage potential customers. The problem we see is that many businesses had no idea how to do it effectively. It is not only about the number of ‘likes’ on your Facebook page, not everyone of us can be like ‘Lady Gaga on Twitter’, having 28 million followers. But instead, it should be focused more on QUALITY, that can bring you more sales! People who focus on buying ‘likes’ or ‘followers’ are just opening the door to an empty numbers game as it won’t produce sales!
This is why one of our ventures AwesomePenang.com helps local businesses in designing effective social media campaigns. We are also learning and focusing on ‘social recommendation’ that basically combines the ‘word-of-mouth’ marketing and the virality of social media to effectively achieve our clients’ intentions.
We are learning, and we want you to learn with us! If you are convinced that social media is vital for your brand, stay tuned as Nicholas will share more on the benefits of social media can bring to your business success in our next article! Cheers!
*All stats are from various sources like Mashable, Jeffbullas.com, TheSocialSkinny.com, DigitalBuzzBlog.com, SocialBakers.com, etc.
- Top Social Media Trends for Entrepreneurs in 2013
- Recruiting for Startups: Candidates Use Gen Y to Search for Companies to Work For
- Part 2: To Do or Not To Do: The Marketing Dilemma among Entrepreneurs
- Young Entrepreneur Showcase with ZNG IMPRESA: Strategies to Survive a Cut-Throat Industry
- Saying Good Bye to Entrepreneurs.my
- Talk to Inspire: Between Groupon Malaysia and the Young Entrepreneur Founder